Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blog post #1

My name is Eliza Escamilla I am Cuban and Ecuadorian and I was born in the United States I can understand a little spanish but only speak and write in english. I feel like the language you learn as a child is the language you will always feel most comfortable with. When i was younger my grandparents tried to teach me spanish but it never really stuck I think it is harder for some people learn a new language and for others it comes a little more natural. One thing i wonder about language is how are there so many different dialects in one language. While I was in the Army I met all different people from all over the United States and even though we were all speaking english sometimes we had no idea what each other were saying and some words I had never heard before and visa versa.

2 comments:

  1. This is actually very interesting Eliza because i feel the exact opposite way. I feel that if enough time effort and dedication is added anyone can learn and feel comfortable with any language.but you do have a valid point in saying that a group of people can all speak one language yet interpret it differently, its the same way when I'm with different sides of my family (the Mexican side or Puerto Rican side)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliza:

    I share your point, I believe that the language that you learn when you are a child is the one that you feel more comfortable with, but I also share Soledad's point that if you put time and effort you will learn a new language, may be not that same way that you speak your first language, but you will learn.

    ReplyDelete